Skip to main content

Prommas masked drama, BACC 2

An episode of the ancient sanskrit epic, The Ramayana, called Khon Prommas or Prommas Masked Drama was on exhibit at the Bangkok Arts and Culture Center last year. Khon masks represent aspects of crown, headdresses and other elements of royal costume. Throne halls occupied by various gods and demons are depicted in a khon drama episode.

Semi-precious materials like silk, metallic threads, bettle wings and glass beads are used to embroider a khon costume.


One objective of the exhibit is to preserve forms of craftmanship related to the performing arts such as Khon itself. It is also for the general public to learn more about the production of a khon drama. The exhibit was part of a year-long 80th birthday celebrations for His Majesty King Bhumibol.


That's My World Tuesday is brought to you by the MyWorld team: Klaus Sandy Wren Fishing Guy Sylvia

Comments

  1. What beautiful and colorful exhibits! And your photos are terrific! Love the information that you include -- makes the pictures even more interesting! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much history and so beautiful reminders of that glorious history.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful crafts, very precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shots. Great effort to preserve and showcase handicrafts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its so vibrant and colorful. Thanks for sharing this and telling us more about your world. Truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful exhibit! They have well preserved them!

    Sshh, I have a fancy of 24K jewelries, especially from Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post of beautiful treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a fascinating post and wonderful works shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!
    Hazel wonderful post today !!!!
    Looks so special for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning artifacts, my boss would love this as well, she is from Thailand and goes back home whenever she can......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Those charming moments

Skywatch : city is far behind and I'm loving it! Reflections : serenade I buy books just because.... My not-so-old hat from the antiques section of a weekend market  A little yummy error Maybe I had more of those charming moments this week than the other weeks. I'm thankful. Swiss sheep farm . Anything that takes me out of sight of urbanization, rising concrete (condos) and drab parking spaces - I'm in. What a treat for the country girl in me! Somewhere out there   beneath the pale moonlight... . It's not everyday you get serenaded. I appreciated it. A lot. The Heart Garden, Eating People is Wrong , etc: my loot from Neilson Hays book sale. Knockoff prices, old plus beautiful library architecture - just my kind of awesome. Antiques therapy . My apartment is bursting I could hardly navigate the floor without my feet touching things so I didn't buy a truckload this week. Just the one hat. Thanks to the shining sun I had an ...

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts!

Tacloban . It's where I spent two months of great adventure with college buddies at about the same age as the young adult artists in this video  We Are The World for Philippines ( Cover by Filipino Artsts ) This is the church where I served as piano accompanist for the 1990 summer student choir, and some of the services. According to reports it was filled with dead bodies when this shot was taken. Photo Courtesy: AUP Network on FB On Saturday, November 24th, Central World management (the former WTC Bangkok) lent space for a Haiyan fundraiser without charge. I'd like to commemorate the highlights:   One Voice: Help Haiyan Victims was a serendipity. Organizing events is something I had to pay money to study in grad school. But it was live learning right there that night and observing the process was free. Skywatch : Mission Tacloban The Bangkok Charity Orchestra   reflected tranquility in their music. Poor typhoon victims would...

Walking by

Skywatch : west side of Taj Mahal Sally's Blues /  Reflections : by the blue lotus pond Fave Five: Living to  Tell the Story   /   Shine the Divine October has been very eventful. Stress and joys, adventures and challenges, you name it. It's wonderful to have the chance to express gratefulness for making it through this final week of a beautiful month. i. Surviving a task at work on finance/statistics: not my expertise but I did it. ii. Another world landmark off the bucket list. Taj Mahal is quite a love monument. iii. Angel friends : geographically distant (Canada) but willing to stick it out in their iphones the whole night to give emotional support. iv.  Kiddo in church with minimal adult supervision. The singing ministry does him good.   v. Mom's back at home after fighting off inflammation of the lungs and heart successfully. Now I can breathe.