Skip to main content

The Killing Fields

I love touring and sightseeing. I don't hesitate to visit an interesting place twice if there's a chance. But I am not visiting this place again even if you paid me to do it.

Cheong Ek Genocidal Center in a distance

After many whispers of wows at the splendor of Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, my companions and I proceeded to Phnom Pehn. I was kicking to finally see the Killing Fields. "This is it," I mused as my 12-year old self: "those rows of 'cabbages' (skulls) in a documentary with John Lennon singing Imagine, now the Killing Fields for real." We then started exploring.

At first I thought this was an old pigsty. What we saw were...
 
  bones

And that was when we fell silent -


especially when we realized that much of the ground is still strewn with clothes of victims.

 more clothes

'Truck Stop:' "place where trucks transporting victims to be exterminated from Toul Sleng Prison, stopped."

Truly depressing. I wanted to get out as much as I was in a hurry to get in at the beginning of the tour. 

"'Killing Tree' (left) against which executioners beat children.  'Magic Tree' (right) where a loudspeaker was hung to muffle victims' screams."

Did they say children?!? I fought back tears while reading the signs. 


Some skulls showed signs of bashing. They have forensic shots of those in the Center (top photo). Our quiet chat branched out to Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot's cousins - butchers Idi Amin, Milosevic, Saddam, Hitler... ethnic cleansing :(

While trying to be brave in front of these skulls, I wondered about the kind of tour I got myself into. Did I just pay to be subjected to something so raw as hell on earth?

I like to think I learned something out of such an experience.

'shelves' of skulls at the stupa

Comments

  1. Such an overwhelmingly sad place. That last photo is an incredible sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a place that holds so many sad memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what a horrible place and horrible testimony to the tragedy and madness of man to his fellow man. It fills me with sadness even to see it on your blog. That we are capable of doing this to one another is something that we as human beings need to be aware of. History repeats itself again and again and yet we turn the other way and pretend it could never happen where we live. It's good that you posted this so that people can see and guard against such tragedies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can people be like that! Even beasts are not killing just for fun. In our concentration camps the guards never killed children. They never beat children under ten. Thank you for sharing. I can understand that you won't see this place again.Have a great week!
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. people can be so awful. not sure I'd visit once...
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tragedy of Man's inhumanity to man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The place was full of sad and black memories. I won't visit this kind of place, Hazel.
    Too sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad. I can see why you'd never want to return...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sad indeed. I read some stories about this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moly, that is devastating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Those charming moments

Skywatch : city is far behind and I'm loving it! Reflections : serenade I buy books just because.... My not-so-old hat from the antiques section of a weekend market  A little yummy error Maybe I had more of those charming moments this week than the other weeks. I'm thankful. Swiss sheep farm . Anything that takes me out of sight of urbanization, rising concrete (condos) and drab parking spaces - I'm in. What a treat for the country girl in me! Somewhere out there   beneath the pale moonlight... . It's not everyday you get serenaded. I appreciated it. A lot. The Heart Garden, Eating People is Wrong , etc: my loot from Neilson Hays book sale. Knockoff prices, old plus beautiful library architecture - just my kind of awesome. Antiques therapy . My apartment is bursting I could hardly navigate the floor without my feet touching things so I didn't buy a truckload this week. Just the one hat. Thanks to the shining sun I had an ...

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts!

Tacloban . It's where I spent two months of great adventure with college buddies at about the same age as the young adult artists in this video  We Are The World for Philippines ( Cover by Filipino Artsts ) This is the church where I served as piano accompanist for the 1990 summer student choir, and some of the services. According to reports it was filled with dead bodies when this shot was taken. Photo Courtesy: AUP Network on FB On Saturday, November 24th, Central World management (the former WTC Bangkok) lent space for a Haiyan fundraiser without charge. I'd like to commemorate the highlights:   One Voice: Help Haiyan Victims was a serendipity. Organizing events is something I had to pay money to study in grad school. But it was live learning right there that night and observing the process was free. Skywatch : Mission Tacloban The Bangkok Charity Orchestra   reflected tranquility in their music. Poor typhoon victims would...

Walking by

Skywatch : west side of Taj Mahal Sally's Blues /  Reflections : by the blue lotus pond Fave Five: Living to  Tell the Story   /   Shine the Divine October has been very eventful. Stress and joys, adventures and challenges, you name it. It's wonderful to have the chance to express gratefulness for making it through this final week of a beautiful month. i. Surviving a task at work on finance/statistics: not my expertise but I did it. ii. Another world landmark off the bucket list. Taj Mahal is quite a love monument. iii. Angel friends : geographically distant (Canada) but willing to stick it out in their iphones the whole night to give emotional support. iv.  Kiddo in church with minimal adult supervision. The singing ministry does him good.   v. Mom's back at home after fighting off inflammation of the lungs and heart successfully. Now I can breathe.