Skip to main content

Have you seen a Mpafako?

Conrad Kottak's international edition of Anthropology: the exploration of human diversity is my bible this week. Here's part of the glossary. The 13th item on the list is mentioned on the author's account of his study on the economy and social life of the Betsileo people in Madagascar.



1. adapids early (Eocene) primate family ancestral to lemurs and lorises




2. advocacy view the belief that precisely because anthropologists are experts on human problems and social change, and because they study, understand, and respect cultural views, they should make policy affecting people




3. affinals relatives by marriage, whether of lineals (e.g., son's wife) or collaterals (e.g., sister's husband)




4. agnates members of the same patrilineal descent group



5. ahimsa Hindu doctrine that prohibits harming life, and thus cattle slaughter



6. allele a biochemical difference involving a particular gene



7. Allen's rule Rule stating that the relative parts of protruding body parts (such as ears, tails, bills, fingers, toes and limbs) tend to increase in warmer climates



8. anatomically modern humans (AMHs) including the Cro Magnons of Europe and the older fossils of Skhul and Qafzeh; continue through the present



9. apical ancestor in a descent group, the individual who stands at the apex, or top of the common genealogy



10. Anthropoidea one of two suborders of primates; includes monkeys, apes and humans



11. arboreal theory Theory that the primates evolved by adapting to life high up in the trees, where visual abilities would have been favored over the sense of smell, and grasping hands and feet would have been used for movement along branches



12. archaic state nonidustrial state



13. mpakafo the Malagasy vampire




Megan and Janet host

Click here for more lists / Header by Samulli

Comments

  1. Never heard about this Hazel
    its funny to read :-)

    Have a nice evening !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, interesting list. I thought that advocacy view was very interesting.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOAH!!! Some of these words could be used for Quilly's Three Word Thursday. It's like a whole new language LOL Have fun studying :) What is beyond reason to me is why the mpakafo can't just be called the Malagasy vampire? LOL Have a great week what's left of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been doing some intense reading. Even the glossary is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anya, how about the mpakafo? lol!

    Tracie, I thought so too

    Thom, I feel my brains disintegrating everytime I write mpakafo. Can't pronounce it either, lol!

    Alice, I find them interesting too, thus they ended up becoming my T13 today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, Allen's rule must have happened to my feet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The advocacy view sounds quite interesting. informative list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, and I thought I had a fairly decent vocabularly. Whew! Great list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Those charming moments

Skywatch : city is far behind and I'm loving it! Reflections : serenade I buy books just because.... My not-so-old hat from the antiques section of a weekend market  A little yummy error Maybe I had more of those charming moments this week than the other weeks. I'm thankful. Swiss sheep farm . Anything that takes me out of sight of urbanization, rising concrete (condos) and drab parking spaces - I'm in. What a treat for the country girl in me! Somewhere out there   beneath the pale moonlight... . It's not everyday you get serenaded. I appreciated it. A lot. The Heart Garden, Eating People is Wrong , etc: my loot from Neilson Hays book sale. Knockoff prices, old plus beautiful library architecture - just my kind of awesome. Antiques therapy . My apartment is bursting I could hardly navigate the floor without my feet touching things so I didn't buy a truckload this week. Just the one hat. Thanks to the shining sun I had an ...

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts!

Tacloban . It's where I spent two months of great adventure with college buddies at about the same age as the young adult artists in this video  We Are The World for Philippines ( Cover by Filipino Artsts ) This is the church where I served as piano accompanist for the 1990 summer student choir, and some of the services. According to reports it was filled with dead bodies when this shot was taken. Photo Courtesy: AUP Network on FB On Saturday, November 24th, Central World management (the former WTC Bangkok) lent space for a Haiyan fundraiser without charge. I'd like to commemorate the highlights:   One Voice: Help Haiyan Victims was a serendipity. Organizing events is something I had to pay money to study in grad school. But it was live learning right there that night and observing the process was free. Skywatch : Mission Tacloban The Bangkok Charity Orchestra   reflected tranquility in their music. Poor typhoon victims would...

Walking by

Skywatch : west side of Taj Mahal Sally's Blues /  Reflections : by the blue lotus pond Fave Five: Living to  Tell the Story   /   Shine the Divine October has been very eventful. Stress and joys, adventures and challenges, you name it. It's wonderful to have the chance to express gratefulness for making it through this final week of a beautiful month. i. Surviving a task at work on finance/statistics: not my expertise but I did it. ii. Another world landmark off the bucket list. Taj Mahal is quite a love monument. iii. Angel friends : geographically distant (Canada) but willing to stick it out in their iphones the whole night to give emotional support. iv.  Kiddo in church with minimal adult supervision. The singing ministry does him good.   v. Mom's back at home after fighting off inflammation of the lungs and heart successfully. Now I can breathe.