Skip to main content

Yule celebrations expat style, then and now

By yule, I mean the 'period extending from December 24th to January 6th.' Or January 2nd for me as I'm back to reality, a.k.a. work before all the hang-over is over.  This is the first yule in five years that I stayed put in Bangkok. No crazy wrestling of crowds at airports, no time-limited tours around exotic places in neighboring countries, just good old apartment with films, little hearty meals, music, a few international dials to communicate with family beyond the South China Sea
 
and well, one shopping that got a bit out of control. But things happen and there's always a first so while I was at one I thought I'd just forgive myself, and go feel the joys of the season. Before I tried putting up a book Christmas tree after seeing the idea from Book Riot on Facebook, yule began with routine visa and work permit renewals at Government House -

which was accomplished smoothly last year, but a bit complicated this year with a tiny irregularity spotted on a document- something between the Thai government and my employer and was quickly sorted which meant I could get on with the holidays without worrying whatever was happening to my immigration status. I kicked off celebrations with a trip to this 11000-seating capacity arena


for a night of memories induced by Candle in the Wind among many others, and sweet longing to give the kiddo a tight hug when his fave Lion King emanated from the grand

How time expands many things. And how I wish it spared the waistline

Horror of horrors: expansion is ongoing. I tried to temper that by welcoming the nephew's turn to be grounded on the piano, and coming, albeit late, to his recital. The niece, a guest performer, pleasantly shocked me with her weed-like growth. I probably should see them more often.

Meanwhile at work, there were finals to invigilate. We make do with this view from the 5th floor window - beginning stages of an offshore company party


and then to the heart of the celebrations

Disclaimer: good girls stay sober throughout yule. Countdown 2013 was as clear as these carolers resemble those in Frances May's Tuscan Christmas

The star of Siam shines on


HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!


Comments

  1. i also promised myself to go easy on the alcohol.*lol* EJ also performed here, right after Sting, i think. i missed both concerts--don't have the patience anymore at driving through the horrendous traffic at Edsa to the venue.

    enjoy the celebrations! wishing you all the best in the New Year.

    Reminiscing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos of so many ventures ~ glad you got to stay 'home' for the holidays ~ Happy New Year from the USA ^_^

    (A Creative Harbor aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos of celebration. Wishing you a new year of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hazel,

    Thanks for sharing your blues.

    Happy New Year and Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Enjoy the New year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I'm a good girl :) Looks like you live a fascinating life but I'm glad you had a home Christmas. it seems there are musical people in your family? Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not good with alcohol, it's been eons ago when I had one lol. Happy new year sis!

    Catching up with Blue Monday.

    Here's my BLUE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos and may I wish you a very Happy New Year!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a good friend who spends every Yuletide somewhere new; she's been to Thailand, and this year, to Burma


    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am like you, best staying home. Traveling has gotten to be such a pain, you do not enjoy going places.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and interesting pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts!

Tacloban . It's where I spent two months of great adventure with college buddies at about the same age as the young adult artists in this video  We Are The World for Philippines ( Cover by Filipino Artsts ) This is the church where I served as piano accompanist for the 1990 summer student choir, and some of the services. According to reports it was filled with dead bodies when this shot was taken. Photo Courtesy: AUP Network on FB On Saturday, November 24th, Central World management (the former WTC Bangkok) lent space for a Haiyan fundraiser without charge. I'd like to commemorate the highlights:   One Voice: Help Haiyan Victims was a serendipity. Organizing events is something I had to pay money to study in grad school. But it was live learning right there that night and observing the process was free. Skywatch : Mission Tacloban The Bangkok Charity Orchestra   reflected tranquility in their music. Poor typhoon victims would benef

Honor, Awards and a Game

Tuesday Couch Potatoes: Made of Honor Awards and a Game/Meme follow. Please scroll down a bit. My pick for this week's TCP theme (wedding movie) is Made of Honor. I like the humor in it. We've all been to several weddings but how many of us can say I've been to one in which the maid of honor was a he? The scene which particularly cracked me up is when the priest mistook the maid of honor for a gay man =) If you're familiar with some of my likes, you'd know why I also love the Scotland location of the wedding. For more of the synopsis click here ; and here's the trailer: Head over to Just About Anything for more wedding movies. ************ My super duper bloggy friend Thom of Thom's Place for Well Whatever and fellow Mom Tetcha of Pensive Thoughts awarded me this Beautiful Blogger award. I have to list seven things about me so here they are: 1. I love wearing jeans more than skirts. 2. One of my favorite colors is purple. 3. I don't mind spending su

October charm

It's weekend! Time to share joys and faves: i . How I love autumn! I had so much fun putting together autumn scenes and quotes despite never actually having seen the season for real. ii . Check out my ABC chocolate - a gift from a girl friend on my birthday. It's too pretty to eat, which is good so then I avoid too much sugar. iii . Would you believe I got the ceramic plate for only 32 cents ? I imagine it would look fab with a slice of Black Forest or Red Velvet on it. Blue Monday iv . And here's Agalico - a quiet English tea room not far from where I live. It was wonderful savoring the charm while waiting for someone who joined me for tea. Weekend Reflection   v. As a fan of Japanese cuisine, I explore restaurants from time to time. It's Honmoni Sushi this week where I tried their saba in teriyake sauce . The set includes miso soup, vegetable salad, egg and tofu, and pickled zucchini. Delicious. Linking to - Fave Five , Pic